1.12.2009

Till you get enough

Mom, bless her heart, made this observation about me:
Stephen doesn't seem to give up. No matter how poorly they treat him or how badly a day goes, he seems to be ready to start up again the next day. It's like he wakes up and it was all a bad dream. I don't understand how it is that he avoids being discouraged.
Granted, this was reported to me by my father, but he and I talked about it. He was troubled by this apparent behavior of mine. I told him that it wasn't so bad and that it isn't an absolute behavior. That is to say that I know when enough is enough. However, in South Africa, what good would giving up do? He then thought about it and reframed it in a way that I agree with:
You don't give up until you're ready to give up. You try until you've tried everything and given every chance that you can. But, when you're done... you're done.


Yes, when I'm done, I'm done. So, let me say for the record that I'm done with currying favor. If you don't like who I am or how I am... then I'm terribly sorry. I have completely lost all patience for manipulating myself in order to have more friends. Besides, it wasn't working terribly well.

No comments:

Post a Comment