5.06.2009

belated

I wrote something profound, but the internet was not cooperating when I was ready to post it.

Here it is:

I've talked before about "right action at cusp." The problem I've had with it is that I keep trying to figure out what the right action is before the cusp so that I am prepared. I also try, at cusp, to figure out why an action is the right one.

These things fail. Beforehand, there are many theories about right action and many more that contradict each other. Thus, one line of thought bleeds into another line of thought and I end up with the idea that either action is right. But, this contradicts the principle of Right Action at Cusp. There is one action which is better than the others. There cannot be a tie. So, I'm left to either conclude that there is no such thing as Right Action at Cusp or that I need to keep looking.

However, I've found that I'm missing the point. AT CUSP. Not before. Right Action at Cusp is a question of Quality (cf Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance). Thus, it is not predicted by Classical thinking. Right Action is a question of the soul and of the moment.

This is why the in situ analysis fails. "Why is action X the Right Action and action Y is not, for this particular cusp?" This question has nearly no meaning. Right Action is Right Action because it is Right Action.

--Thanks, Professor Murphy, but where's the punchline?
Valentine Michael Smith does not stretch his time sense so that he can think about what Right Action is, he does this to allow Right Action to become a part of him.

Either you have Right Action at Cusp, or you do not. However, try. Keep trying.

Just remember that waiting is. Waiting is.

No comments:

Post a Comment